IAP A2: reflection before tutor feedback

I had no opportunity to review the images I shot for this project before I returned home, so was disappointed to find that my decision to use continuous shooting and a fast shutter speed had caused many of the images to lack the sharpness of focus I would have liked them to have. This was especially the case for the pictures of Jane herself, and in some cases the problem was exacerbated by the presence of visible noise, which was a consequence of shooting in some poorly lit locations with only available light and attempting to compensate for this by setting the ISO at a level that in retrospect I can see was higher than advisable. Since there is no possibility of reshooting I will have to go with what I have, but I’ve learned a valuable lesson for the future, being that it really is a better idea to optimise the settings for each image individually rather than going for the scattergun approach I took here.

I’m a little unsure whether the series is too literal in its narrative content, perhaps more like an illustrated story than it should be, and I will be interested to hear what my tutor has to say about this.

On the plus side there are things I was only half aware of at the time I shot the images that have turned out better than I expected. The fortuitous scattering of petals in the first image which emphasise the impending vulnerability also suggested by her prone posture. The way the clinic and its clinical waste shed can be seen to represent the two faces of the cosmetic surgery industry – the glossy brochure on the one hand and reality on the other. And the way that Jane and the painting behind her in the final image evoke Munch’s The Scream, yet the preceding image of evening light on the curtain anchors it into calmness and reflects the fact that this traumatic process is drawing to a close. And I feel the colour palette of warm dark earth tones and greens that runs through the images works to pull them together as a set.

I have a few ideas mulling around for presenting the images for assessment. I’ve tried out various print settings and have found a combination that seems to work well, at least for the test images I’ve printed so far. One idea I’m considering is trying to find a way to incorporate some of the materials I came across while researching the project – FDA press releases, breast implant brochures etc – into my presentation. Perhaps a book might be a good solution. I don’t feel I need to make a decision about this immediately, though. Past experience has taught me that I will very likely change all my presentations when the time comes to finalise my work for assessment anyway.